Activity Hen Weekends Cardiff & Brecon Beacons
The perfect alternative hen do idea! Fun nights out in Cardiff and outdoor adventures in Brecon Beacons
Why choose Cardiff & the Brecon Beacons for your big hen weekend? Stay in the Welsh capital or in a cottage or lodge surrounded by hills in the countryside. South Wales offers a wide variety of fun outdoor hen activities such as canyoning in rainforest-like natural areas in the Brecon Beacons or exploring Cardiff Bay by paddleboard. Cardiff is one of our most popular hen weekend destinations and it’s easy to see why, with a great mix of adventures, group accommodation and cool bars & restaurants! You might also be interested in the rest of our adventure hen do’s in Wales, including Gower & Swansea, Pembrokeshire and North Wales.
Big Blue offers hen friendly quality accommodation such as private villas, cottages, hotels & hostels, with a range of outdoor activities including white water rafting and rock-climbing. We’ll put the perfect alternative hen do together for you, tailor-made to suit your group. When you’re ready just hit the Quote button, call or email us direct.
Learn To SUP
Harbour Or Lake Location
Paddleboarding (SUP) in Cardiff or the Brecon Beacons can be enjoyed by almost all fitness and confidence levels. It’s a watersport that anyone can learn and is a really fun way for your hen party to spend time together and explore the city or national park in a unique way!
- Experienced instructors & all needed equipment included (wetsuit hire optional)
- Our SUP adventures usually last between 2-3 hours incl. briefing
- Stop at a nice local cafe for coffee & lunch, before jumping back onto the water for another session!
Mountains Or Coast
Learn all the basics of rock-climbing or if you already have some experience, try a variety of difficulty levels. Both coastal as well as mountain climbs are available, either on the Glamorgan or Gower coast or in the Brecon Beacons. Try your hand on abseiling and on supporting the other hens with their climb by learning the rope-work. A fun outdoor activity, that will get everyone involved.
- Experienced instructors & all needed equipment included (helmets, climbing gear)
- Our rock-climbing adventures usually last between 3-4 hours incl. kitting up
- There are great local pubs near the rock-climbing spots where we could stop for a pub-lunch
Explore The Coastline
Coasteering is one of our most popular activities in The Gower Peninsula. It is 100% worth the longer drive for a day out here. Coasteering is a really fun and thrilling way to explore the beautiful Welsh coastline, whilst scrambling, swimming and jumping your way across.
- Experienced instructors & all needed equipment included (wetsuits, helmets & buoyancy-aids)
- This is a full day out but the coasteering itself is between 3/4 hours
- Lots of nice local cafes around in Rhossili Bay, great for a lunch stop with your hens!
Half-Day Or Full-Day
Variety Of Routes
If you don’t fancy a watersport or competitive element to your hen activity, then why not join us on a guided hike in South Wales! It’s also a great activity in the autumn and winter months. Whether you fancy a half-day hike up to the summit of Pen-Y-Fan (highest summit in South Wales) or an extended all-day hike including picnic and some local wine, we can help with a fun guided hike in the Brecon Beacons, Glamorgan Coast or even the Gower Peninsula.
- All group sizes
- Experienced guides
- Tailor-made hikes
- Add on orienteering & map-reading
- Sunrise or sunset hikes available
- Add-on some local snacks & drinks
- Bring warm clothes & waterproofs
Canyoning, or Gorge Walking, is probably our most adventurous activity in South Wales. It is beginner friendly and an awesome day in the outdoors. Discover waterfalls, swim with the rapids and jump into rock-pools, all within a stunning natural setting.
- Experienced instructors & all needed equipment included (thick wetsuits, helmets, buoyancy aids all included)
- Our Canyoning activities usually last between 3-4 hours incl. kitting up
- Why not add a stop at the local pub for lunch & drinks afterwards?
Indoor Surf (bodyboarding)
Max 10 people
The indoor wave in Cardiff Bay is a popular hen choice. Have a laugh trying some tricks on a body-board and cheer each-other on. This 1 hour activity is very accessible and a guaranteed good time.
- Experienced instructors & all needed equipment included (just bring swimwear & a towel)
- Book 2 sessions in a row if you have a larger group than 10, spectators are welcome!
- Indoor Surf is easy to combine with another activity on the same day
Lots Of Obstacles & Challenges
Protect Your Egg
Take your hen group on a variety of challenges & obstacles, with a fun assault course set in a woodland area between Cardiff & Brecon Beacons. Be prepared to get muddy whilst crawling underneath nets and using rope-swings, all while working together as a team to protect your eggs!
- Experienced instructors
- Helmets included (bring old clothes that can get muddy)
- Depending on the group-size and speed of the group, the assault course activity is between 2-3 hours
- The Assault Course can easily be combined with quad-biking, canyoning or rock-climbing!
Mountain-Biking & Cycling
Brecon Beacons Or Cardiff
We offer guided mountain-biking and cycling tours that are beginner friendly in Brecon Beacons as well as from Cardiff. Our routes can be tailored to your experience and fitness levels, from more easy-going rides on the Taff Trail around Cardiff Bay and up to the fairy tale castle of Castell Coch to proper off road mountain-biking. North & South Brecon Beacons both offer a variety of scenic mountain-biking trails for mountain-biking, so there is something for all types of hen groups!
- Experienced mountain-biking instructors
- Quality bikes
- half-day or full-day guided mountain-bike tours
- Large variety of routes available to suit all levels
- You can also opt to start your cycling trip in Cardiff and go up to Castell Coch, which offers some nice mountain-biking trails as well as nice view of the red castle!
White Water Rafting
Artificial Olympic Course
A popular hen activity is white water rafting in Cardiff Bay. You’ll need to work together in your raft to go down the rapids. Lots of laughs and a good time are guaranteed! And you don’t need to travel far at all, giving you more time to explore the city & enjoy cocktails!
- Experienced instructors & all needed equipment included (thick wetsuits, helmets, buoyancy aids)
- White Water Rafting is around 2 hours incl. kitting up
- Spectators are welcome!
Countryside & Woodlands Track
Practice Round + Tour
Max 20 people
Whether this is your first time quad-biking or if you have done the activity before, this track with lovely hillside views is great for all levels! Explore the countryside and woodlands on 250cc Honda Quad-Bikes, a great outdoor activity for your hen weekend.
- Experienced instructors
- You will get an overall, but you will need to bring an old pair of trainers and clothes
- Quad-Biking is easy to combine with the assault course, canyoning or rock-climbing
- Our Quad-Biking adventures are between 1/2 hours incl. briefing
Outdoor Or Indoor Track
Grand Prix Or Endurance Races
Go-Karting is a very accessible activity and almost anyone can join in with the fun. We’ll take you to an outdoor track not too far from Cardiff or indoors near the city centre, where you can choose between Grand Prix or Endurance Races.
- Outdoor or indoor go-karting
- Experienced instructors
- Helmet & Overall provided
- Our Go-Karting races usually last approx. 1-2 hours
Variety Of Game Zones
Paintballing is a thrilling activity that will show the competitive side of your hens! Take your own girl friends down or compete together against another team in this exciting outdoor activity! Enjoy a variety of game zones, such as capture the flag and defend the fort, all set within natural woodland areas across North Brecon Beacons and on the outskirts of Cardiff.
- Experienced instructors
- All needed equipment (overalls, masks, guns) included, bring some old clothes that can get muddy
- Half-day or Full-day paintballing activity
- 300-500 paintballs included
- Add-ons available; smoke grenades, body-armour, extra paintballs or a more advanced paintball gun
- Choose the Cardiff based paintballing centre for softer bullets causing less bruising
Cardiff Houses / Lodges
Nice Spaces To Socialise
If you really want to connect with your hen party and prefer self-catering accommodation over a hotel or hostel, then we have some lovely private properties available in Cardiff. From a quirky house in Cardiff Bay that sleeps maximum 22 people, to a nice wooden lodge by a lake a little further outside of the city, and more! Just let us know your group size and requirements and we will match up the right property for you!
- Large social spaces
- Variety of bedrooms incl. single beds, double and bunks
- Free wi-fi
- Private parking or secure paid parking nearby
- Add on a self-catering breakfast & drinks package
- Some houses come with Sky TV licence
- Choose a city stay or be surrounded by nature just a short taxi ride from Cardiff
Brecon Beacons Lodge / Cottage
Beautiful Natural Setting
For hen do’s that prefer a weekend away in nature but with a fun night out in Cardiff, our Brecon Beacons lodges & cottages are the perfect option. From a small recently refurbished cottage sleeping up to 11 people, to a larger lodge with bunkbeds, fire place and views of the surrounding hills, we have something to suit most budgets. Our Brecon Beacons accommodation options are in easy reach of most of our activities, walkable distance to a small countryside hotel with public bar and just a 45 min drive from Cardiff’s city centre. We can add on a transfer so you can still enjoy a great night out in town!
- High quality properties with authentic and modern features
- Single and bunk-beds
- Free wi-fi
- Free on site parking
- Outdoor area with picnic benches
- Scenic location with countryside views
- Self-catering kitchen & cosy living room with log-burner
- Add-on a breakfast & drinks package
- Add-on a transfer to Cardiff for a night out
- Some nice walks & hikes right on your doorstep
- Add a spa day at the nearby countryside hotel
Hen Friendly Hotels
All Group Sizes
Our Cardiff hotels are hen-friendly and are based in the centre as well as on the outskirts of the city. A hotel is a great option if you fancy a more luxury stay instead of a hostel with shared facilities and prefer smaller bedrooms. Choose between good quality budget hotels or if you fancy a bit more luxury than we have options to suit that as well.
- Modern hotels with essential facilities
- Choose between double, twin or triple rooms
- At most hotels a buffet breakfast is included (continental & cooked)
- Free wi-fi
- Hotels offering free or secure paid parking
- Enjoy a bar or restaurant on site
- Some hotels offer spa facilities
All Group Sizes
Private En-Suite Bedrooms
Our Cardiff city centre hostels have a superb location, friendly staff on site, a hostel bar and nice easy going atmosphere. The hostels are hen-friendly and specialised in group bookings, making sure you get the best experience whilst keeping other guests in mind. We usually offer private en-suite bedrooms so you still have all the comfort from a hotel or private property, but with lower prices and the social vibe only a hostel can offer!
- A continental or cooked breakfast is included
- Choose between private en-suite rooms or private bunk rooms with shared bathroom
- Our hostels come with a communal kitchen and lounge area
- Free wi-fi
- Secure (paid) parking available
Hosted Hen Adventures
With any of our Big Blue adventures we always aim for a personal customer service (Travel & Hospitality Award winners for ‘excellence in customer service’) and have a friendly face there to welcome you to your hen weekend in Cardiff & Brecon Beacons. We are on hand to host the key parts so you can sit back and relax, we’ll do the organising for you and bring some good vibes too!
If you need transport from your group accommodation to our activities then we can arrange that for you, in fact it is usually expected on a group trip like a hen do. We have mini-busses available for groups of all sizes. Our mini-busses are also available for night out returns and various day-trips to surrounding areas. A popular option is a morning activity followed by lunch and some drinks at a local cafe before heading back to the hen accommodation!
Pictures & Highlights Video
On a hosted adventure we take our GoPro cameras and shoot some nice pictures & videos. We’ll send these to you afterwards and even edit a personal highlights video for your hen group, the best way to remember your trip!
Meals & Drinks
You can choose between Bed & Breakfast, half board or all-inclusive for your hen party. We can also add extras like a drinks package, packed-lunch and BBQ’s. Just add it to your ‘get quote’ options and we will get that included in your hen package!
Hen Party Extras
There are lots of extras we can add to your hen do in Cardiff & Brecon Beacons, including cocktail making classes and help with reservations at restaurants. If you have any ideas, or would like more info on the extras we can provide, feel free to ask us on the quote page.
Why Adventure With Us…
Our Big Blue destinations offer great group accommodation options, good travel links, quality facilities and world-class adventures. We spend a lot of time at our locations and know what works well for hen groups.
Hosted group adventure travel, with numbers between 10-200+ people. BBA offers an award winning service; we’ll always go the extra mile to ensure our packages are perfect for your hen do.
The best way to remember your hen weekend? A highlights video that captures all the best moments of your adventure. Video & pictures are included in all of our full packages.
More Wales Hen Do’s
Why We Love This…
“Cardiff is awesome for a hen weekend, with endless bars & restaurants to choose from. It’s easy to get around town so you don’t need to stick with just one cocktail bar, you can try out lots of them in a short time! Canyoning is my favourite activity. I love seeing the big waterfalls, going down natural slides and just being in nature. SUP is great fun too and so close to home. It’s nice to be out on the water and see Cardiff from a different perspective.”